Friday, April 11, 2014

My Body is a Canvas

Within the past year my work has become a bit more lax on what they will allow us to wear. This makes me very happy because anyone who knows me knows that I don't enjoy wearing the same thing every day, and I certainly don't like to wear what everyone else is wearing. So now a vast majority of the time, you will find me wearing dresses to work. I enjoy dressing up and let's face it, at nearly 6 feet tall it isn't exactly easy to find khakis that aren't high waters on me.




This was me in July of 2013. After 17 years of on and off hair dying and bleaching, lots of straightening and various other damages made by both my hair stylist mother and me as a beauty school student, my hair finally decided it had enough. Once it started holding color for mere days instead of weeks and only stayed straight for an hour IF I was lucky, then I knew it was time for drastic measures. I had always admired the way a woman's hair looked when she shaved it. It takes guts, confidence and sheer baddass-ery to pull it off. Teenage me, and early 20's me would never have had the balls! but mid 20's me was all about it. So one day I decided to just go for it. Clippers in hand I started the journey of starting over. I slipped the number two guard on my clippers and shaved off my once collar bone length locks. Surprisingly enough, I loved it. At last my hair was soft, I never had to worry about straightening it, or even brushing it for that matter. Now I know why guys always kept their hair that way! But I was determined to grow it out and knowing myself I knew the temptation to dye my hair would always be there. So I came up with a genius solution, I could buy wigs! If I got wigs I could literally change my hair color and style every day and never actually damage my hair. Thus started my new found obsession. 
So my wig obsession, paired with my new work dress code and my vastly improved make up knowledge has led me to this. Which according to some people, may be a bit strange. I mean, who in their right mind dresses up for work?! Well I'll tell you this, I spend entirely too much time at that place to not look cute there. Life is far too short to wear boring clothes/have boring hair anyways. I'm happy to be in a place in my life where it doesn't matter when people try to bring me down out of jealousy. I am my own person, and an awesome one at that.
Even if I am a bit strange at times...I like to think it makes things interesting.
Well onto some specifics in case you wanted to know what I'm wearing. As usual my wig is from this little shop in the B&I in Tacoma, WA. My best friend and I have become regulars there and the sweetest ladies run that store, always very friendly and helpful. I've noticed an influx of blonde wigs there lately, which I'm sure has nothing to do with the fact that the last three wigs I've bought there were blonde ;P As far as makeup goes, I strongly prefer Covergirl foundation, the blush is from Sephora's Hello Kitty holiday collection, and I have found the miracle under eye concealer in the form of Maybelline Age Rewind Dark Spot Corrector. I have terrible under eye circles. The kind that, thanks to genetics and no matter how much sleep I get, I look like a sleep deprived zombie that got into a fist fight with Muhammed Ali. This is the first and only product I've tried that has actually managed to conceal them and make me look awake and not sickly. The lipstick is by Essence in Colour Crush layered with E.L.F. lipgloss in Vixen.
Nevermind the obvious work bathroom selfie, it's the only full length mirror I have access to. I went to Ross the other day and absolutely fell in love with this dress. Of course it was several dollars over the limit I had set for myself, but I was in love AND it's a high low dress. In case you haven't heard the story yet, let me enlighten you. It seems that someone had the nerve to complain about me wearing a high/low dress to work in the guise of it being "dangerous" I fail to see how though, as it isn't anywhere near touching the ground, even if I were to bend down. I'm fairly certain I would have to sit on the floor for it to completely touch. Yet again, I'm very tall for a girl..so that isn't a problem I come across too often. Even maxi dresses don't come to my ankles!! So after a good laugh from my coworkers and boss about the complaint I decided to wear that style of dress more often, just as my way of saying "suck it" to the haters. At the end of the day, I wear what makes me happy, you know within dress code anyways. Expressing my individuality at work makes me a happier, and more productive worker and I think management has seen that and taken notice. I also see this as an opportunity to spread a positive image of the tattoo community which still, unfortunately, often gets seen negatively. I am a hard working, single mother who not only holds down a part time job but also runs her own business. I also happen to love tattoos and view my body as a canvas bestowed upon my soul to decorate as I see fit.

No comments:

Post a Comment